Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mel-ben, Part 4 - The Last Part

I've been a little bit fascinated with Indigenous Australians since I saw the movie Rabbit Proof Fence.  It was only compounded by reading In a Sunburned Country, and then the interest cemented itself with all the aboriginal art shows here in Singapore.  The aboriginal artwork is all this great, abstract stuff, with a southwest-ish feel, which is a bonus because that means David will like it too.  There are a lot of styles, but I love the layered dot designs.  For example:


Everything means something in these paintings.  This one is called Wangkartu, by a guy named - I kid you not - Helicopter.  The parallel lines in the painting represent the sandhills, and the middle circles are "inta", which in the desert always contain drinking water.  Neat, right?  To make sure I get the real thing, I picked up a Buying Indigenous Art in Melbourne pamphlet, whose helpful advice was "check where the art was made."  In other words, don't buy anything that says Made in China.  That I can handle.

While I hunted around from my art, David, Harvey and Anne went and visited the Rod Laver Arena, where the Australian Open is held.  The Plauts love all things tennis.


Want to see the painting I finally picked out?  Sorry, it's out being framed.  You'll have to wait.

===============================

Sadly, all good things must come to an end.  Our last dinner was at a local steakhouse (you just cannot get a decent steak in Singapore for less than $50), with reasonably-priced drinks for all.


During our dinner conversation, the subject of Tim Tams arose.  "What's that?" we asked.  The cousins stared at us, horrified.  "You've never had Tim Tams?"  The next morning, there we were at the grocery store, buying Tim Tams.


It's a yummy sandwich cookie, but oh - so much more.  "Two layers of chocolate malted biscuits, separated by a light chocolate filling."  I was addicted immediately, and back home I was thrilled to find them at every grocery store in Singapore.  And ahoy ahoy!  They now sell them at Target.  Target, is there any material need you can't fill?

================================

Filled with Tim Tams and hand-carrying my artwork, we had to leave Melbourne much too soon.  Next up?  Sydney, also known as I'm Still Cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment